Friday, June 10, 2011

Author Interview - Anita Clenney - Awaken The Highland Warrior

A few weeks ago, I was reading the recurring feature, 'How I Got my Agent' on Chuck Sambuchino's Guide to Literary Agents blog. I was very excited to read that fellow Celtic Hearts member, author Anita Clenney give her take on how she got an agent. 

I also happen to be reading Anita's first release, Awaken the Highland Warrior. I can tell you readers, this ain't ya mama's book.

Anita's book blew me away from the front cover (Famous cover model Jimmy Thomas heats up your eyeballs on the cover) to the end sentence. She left me wanting more and I knew immediately I wanted to interview her.

Anita Clenney
Some of you may already be familiar with Anita's Attic, her featured spot on  Mysteries and Margaritas blog. When Anita isn't working on her latest efforts, you can catch her there every Tuesday.
 
For now, I have the gorgeous Anita in my mitts.

Also, today one luck reader will be winning a copy of Anita's book, Awaken the Highland Warrior. Trust me, you are going to want to fight tooth and nail for this book.

So lets get started!


How are you doing today Anita?

I’m still reeling from my trip to Martha’s Vineyard. My agent and several of her clients participated in an agent/author panel at Bunch of Grapes Bookstore. My husband went with me, and we considered it our honeymoon since we never really had one. Never mind that it was 14 years late. After the panel and the TV interviews, we all toured the island, laughed until we cried, lounged, and just generally had a blast. You can imagine a bunch of writers, a few husbands, a hilarious aunt, and my agent all staying in one house. It’s hard to get back to work after such a fun time. Oh, and I saved a crow who was trapped in a trashcan at the MV airport. That was an amazing thing. Two women were watching and they were so impressed they both said they were going to buy my book.


Can you give us a little bit of information on your background?
I’ve worked in Real Estate, in a litigation support firm, as a secretary, receptionist. My most notorious jobs were booking Aztec Fire Dancers, and the half day I worked in a pickle factory. It felt like an old rerun of I Love Lucy.


Please tell us a little bit about your book. 
Scottish warrior, Faelan Connor is one of Michael the Archangel’s secret warriors sent to protect humans from evil. Because of his prowess at destroying demons, Faelan is sent to America to capture the demon responsible for stirring up the strife and hatred that will culminate in the Civil War. But Faelan is betrayed and locked in a time vault that was created to stop time, imprisoning a demon until Judgment. With Faelan’s failure, hundreds of thousands die as his distraught clan searches for the missing key that will open the time vault. But the key is nowhere to be found, and eventually everyone who knows Faelan’s story dies, leaving him nothing more than a myth. For 150 years Faelan sleeps.

Bree Kirkland is no ordinary historian. Her specialty is the Civil War, but she feels more like Indiana Jones, obsessed with lost treasure, myths and legends. Haunted by longings she can’t describe, she immerses herself in history, seeking hidden treasure, both written and real, but after a lifetime of disappointments and mishaps, she determines to settle down to an ordinary, boring life. When she finds a treasure map in her great, great grandmother’s attic, Bree promises herself one more treasure hunt, and then she’ll stop. The map leads to the graveyard behind her house, where she finds an elaborate chest hidden inside the old crypt that she’d been so drawn to as a child. She opens the chest and the last thing she expects is for a Scottish warrior to leap out of his tomb. Needless to say, her life will never be the same.

The attraction between Faelan and Bree is instantaneous, and for a good reason, but so is the frustration, because they’re from vastly different cultures. Faelan can’t fathom a female being so bold and rash. The woman attracts danger like a bloody magnet. And she won’t let him protect her; he, a renowned warrior since before she was born. If he could drive that bloody thing she called a car, he’d toss her over his shoulder and get her away from her house before the demon who locked him up comes looking for him.

Bree feels something for Faelan that goes way beyond attraction, frighteningly so, but on the other hand she’s ready to stick him back in the time vault if he doesn’t stop with this over protective nonsense. It’s not the 19th century, for God’s sake, and he’s treating her like a child. Women are tough and independent. But after she finds out what has this big, bad warrior so worried, she’s glad to have all that muscle close by. And she’d give her pinkie toe to get her hands on that talisman hanging around his neck.

Your book is amazing. How did you come up with your story concept?
Part of the story started with a dream. That’s the part about demons in disguise. I dreamed that my young son and I were stranded and had to take refuge in a castle, where I quickly figured out that the pleasant man offering to help us wasn’t who, or what, he seemed. I knew my son and I wouldn’t just die, but we would be entertainment. I woke from the dream as I was trying to escape. It was so disturbing that I couldn’t shake it. I had also been playing with a story idea of a heroine finding a warrior who was buried but not dead. With those two ideas, Awaken the Highland Warrior was born.



I felt like I was in an action adventure novel, was that the intent?
I’m thrilled to hear you say that, and I’ve had several people say the story was a blend of genres. I love blending genres. I want the romance, the mystery, and the adventure to be equally intense. *note to readers, cue up for Hollywood manuscript!

How long did it take you to write this first book?
On and off for three years, but it was like a learning tool. I revised and polished for a long time until I got it where I wanted it.


 
What is your writing style, plotter or panster?
Some of each. I love brainstorming. I think of ideas and mull them over, jotting down lots of notes as I go. I don’t really outline, but I have pages of notes. I’ll usually have a basic synopsis ready before I start writing. But I always get new ideas as I go, and they have to be built into the story. One day I dream of having all my plot twists and turns present themselves BEFORE I start writing the story.



Do you have a critique partner or are you a lone ranger kind of gal?
I have one critique partner, Dana Rodgers. She’s wonderful. She knows what I’m thinking even when I can’t fully express it. And we have these great brainstorming sessions at Crackle Barrel for breakfast or a Mexican restaurant for lunch every week or two.


Music while you write or complete silence?
Silence, but on an extremely rare occasion I’ll listen to music. I love Loreena McKennitt, Evanesence, and Nickleback.



Take us through your work day. What's it like?
Sporadic. I don’t do well with schedules, something I’m trying to change. My perfect plan is to wake up, get the kids off to school, write until the first one comes home, but that never works out. I’ll get a great idea in the evening and start writing while I’m cooking dinner (if I remember dinner) and then I may be up late at night. Sometimes I don’t even go to bed until after the kids leave for school.

Are there any other genres you would like to write in?
I’m writing a mystery series now. I love romance and mysteries. There will always be some romance in my mysteries and some mysteries in my romance.

What's on your TBR (to be read) list?
I have several friends’ books that I’m going to read. The Dark Earl by Alix Rickloff and Sweet Tea and Secrets by Nancy Naigle.



Pre-order Amazon||Barnes & Noble



What's up next for you?
I’ve been working hard at promoting Awaken the Highland Warrior. Embrace the Highland Warrior comes out in November, but I really have to finish book three, Unleash the Highland Warrior. It’s due out Fall 2012. All the characters will carry over from book to book, so we don’t have to say goodbye to the ones we’ve grown fond of. There will be some surprises in book two, some quite shocking, and also in book three. *author's note: She is a tease, I can't wait! Pre-order yours now!


Can you give us a hint about the next book?
When the powerful demon that left Shay for dead discovers her empty grave, he comes seeking retribution, believing she possesses an ancient book he has sought for centuries. Knowing she can’t fight the demon alone, Shay returns to her clan and the Scottish Warrior who betrayed her…the only man she’s ever loved, where she discovers that betrayal isn’t always what it seems. Sometimes it’s far worse.*drooling already!



How many books will be in the series?
At least three, maybe more.

Who has inspired you?
From a creative aspect, being an avid reader opened my imagination to worlds beyond ours, but I don’t think one author in particular inspired me, although I do have favorites. Diana Gabaldon, Kristan Higgins, Elizabeth Peters, Jeri Westerson, Janet Evanovich, just to name a few. In my personal life, my mom has been huge inspiration.

 
What would you like to share with aspiring writers?
Learn all you can about writing from other writers, but don’t compare your writing or your journey to theirs. Each writer’s journey is different. Writing isn’t one size fits all. Focus on writing a story that would knock your socks off as a reader and go from there. 


Where are some of the places readers can find you?



Any book signings coming up?
Nothing for the moment. I’ve had three this month, all wonderful experiences. One with Nora Roberts and Sherrilyn Kenyon at Nora Roberts’ husband’s store, and one at Bunch of Grapes on Martha’s Vineyard. Now I need to focus on writing book three.


Author Bio
Anita Clenney grew up an avid reader, devouring Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books before moving on to mysteries and romance. After working as a secretary, a Realtor, teacher’s assistant, booking agent for Aztec Fire Dancers, and a brief stint in a pickle factory (picture Lucy and Ethel--lasted half a day)…she realized she'd missed the fork in the road that led to her destiny. Now she spends her days writing mysteries and paranormal romantic suspense  about Secret Warriors, Ancient Evil and Destined Love. Anita lives in suburban Virginia, outside Washington DC, with her husband and two kids. You can learn more about her writing at www.anitaclenney.com

He's had centuries to dream of her...
Mis-adventurous historian Bree Kirkland discovers a 19th century Scottish warrior buried in a crypt behind her house. But Faelan, the warrior, isn’t dead. When he awakes, he has no choice but accept the help of this modern-day woman who’s rescued him, but she’s more fearsome than the demon trying to kill him. If he’s not careful, she’ll uncover every secret his clan has bled and died to protect.

Available at: Amazon||Barnes&Noble||Borders


                                              
Excerpt from Awaken the Highland Warrior

Bree’s fingers tightened around the metal disk as she ran through the graveyard, zigzagging past leaning headstones. Her lantern swayed, throwing shadows on the crypt looming before her, its stone walls the color of bones. Thick vines crept over it, sealing in cracks left by time, while gnarled branches from the twisted oak hovered like outstretched arms. Protecting… or threatening?

An owl screeched overhead as she scurried up the crumbling steps, wishing night hadn’t fallen, when shadows twisted into monsters and spirits came out to play. The burial vault lay open near the back of the crypt, waiting. Blood rushed past her ears, a sound like all the angels’ wings beating in unison. She moved closer and peered at the chest inside. It was ornate, made of metal and wood, with green gemstones embedded in each corner. It looked ancient, like it belonged in a museum or a pyramid, or perhaps Solomon’s Temple. The beauty of it struck her again, as it had when she’d first discovered it.

She set the lantern on the edge of the burial vault and studied the markings on the chest. Swirls and shapes like writing shifted in the amber glow. Stretching out a finger, she touched the surface. Warm? She yanked her hand back and hit the lantern. It crashed to the floor, throwing the top of the crypt into darkness. Dropping to her knees, she scrambled for the light. A sound cut through the silence, scraping, like fingernails against stone. She grabbed the lantern, not daring to blink, then remembered the wind outside and the claw-like branches of the old tree. 

She placed the lantern securely on the vault cover she’d pushed onto the alcove and unfolded her hand. The metal disk she held was three inches in diameter and appeared to be made from the same metal as the chest, not silver, not gold. One side had deep grooves; the other was etched with symbols. With trembling fingers, she lined up the disk with the matching grooves on top of the chest and pushed. There was a series of clicks as the notched edges retracted. 

A voice rushed through her head. What lies within cannot be, until time has passed with the key.

Bree whirled, but she was alone. Only stone walls stood watch, their secrets hidden for centuries. It was sleep deprivation, not ghosts.

She pulled in a slow, steadying breath and tried to turn the disk. Nothing. Again, this time counterclockwise, and it began to move under her hand. She jerked her fingers back. A loud pop sounded and colors flashed… blue, orange, and green, swirling for seconds, and then they were gone. Great, hallucinations to go with the voices in her head. 

Her body trembled as she gripped the lid. This was it. All her dreams held on a single pinpoint of time. If this ended up another wild goose chase, she was done. No more treasure hunts, no more mysteries, no more playing Indiana Jones. She’d settle down to a nice, ordinary, boring life. She counted.

One. 

Two.

Three.

She heaved open the chest. 

Terror clawed its way to her throat, killing her scream. 

The man inhaled one harsh breath and his eyes flew open, locking on Bree. A battle cry worthy of Braveheart echoed off the walls. Bree jumped back as metal flashed and a rush of air kissed her face. Petrified, she watched him crawl out of the burial vault, a wicked-looking dagger in his hand. Her scream tore loose as she turned and fled.

Fingers grazed her shoulder, and she glanced back. The last thing she saw before her feet tangled with the shovel was the dead man reaching for her.


Anita, thank you for joining me today and for sharing yourself with my readers. I can't wait for this next book! In fact, I think I will be pre-ordering it tonight! 

READERS: You can get your Anita Clenney fix now! Don't forget, one lucky reader will win a copy of Anita's book Awaken the Highland Warrior. Make sure you leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment