Thursday, July 21, 2011

Goodbye to an old friend

"Space: the final frontier...


Today, at exactly 5:57 a.m., the last space shuttle touched down in the still of the morning. Reporters and photogs patiently waited for what would be the end of an era. A far cry from the first launch I witnessed on T.V. at my grade school in 1981. 


That day, every student sat in awe, watching the launch of what we believed would be 'to boldly go where no man has gone before...

In this image provided by NASA, Space Shuttle Atlantis touches down at NASA's Kennedy Space Center Shuttle Landing Facility in Cape Canaveral, Fla., completing its 13-day mission to the International Space Station and the final flight of the Space Shuttle Program, early Thursday morning, July 21, 2011. Atlantis, the fourth orbiter built, launched on its first mission on Oct. 3, 1985. (AP Photo/NASA - Bill Ingalls)


All of us had never witnessed Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin taking that "One small step for man" on the moon - the 42nd anniversary was yesterday in case you didn't know.  I was a drooling one year old, one year and a week to be exact, that was  happy that I could put my toes in my mouth, much less ponder the wonders of space.



Fast forward, and in 13 years it would be my turn to witness the new frontier in space exploration. Much like Chris and Ken Bray, father and son below, witnessing this spectacular even for the first and last time, I would be a part of living history. 


Photo of Chris and Kenneth Bray - Space Shuttle Launch - 30 years apart

I remember thinking that as much as I hated heights, I would love to float amongst the stars. And though I would never become an astronaut, the possibilities seemed endless. 

The NASA space program fueled the imagination of many writers and catapulted the Sci-Fi generation out of the bad 1950's Hollywood B movies, aliens are killing us, to let's explore the universe and open our eyes to new avenues, ideals and experiences. 


Gene Roddenberry's 'Star Trek' pushed this concept and further fueled the imagination that has sparked a generation of T.V. shows, movies, books and music. 

Gene Roddenberry's - Star Trek
Who knew space could be so cool? I am sad to see the space shuttle program end but I am excited to see what will be the next space exploration around the corner. The possibilities seem endless even if the budget is not. 


We will find ourselves in space again but this time, instead of walking on the moon, perhaps Mars, Venus or the divine Saturn! Who knows, we could find ourselves flying at warp speed through galaxies billions of light years away. 


Photo: Saturn from fpsoftlab
Until then, Beam me up Scotty, it's time for lunch!   



No comments:

Post a Comment